A few hundred metres from Tintern Abby sits St. Mary’s Church, another religious ruin in an idyllic spot.
This 14th to 15th century church was remodelled in 1866 by Welsh architect John Prichard, famous largely for restoration commissions, including Llandaff Cathedral. The church fell out of use in 1972, and was gutted by a fire in 1977. Several tombs have been recently restored including several fine examples from the lat 18th and early 19th century. The building is enchanting and the location offers some spectacular views of the Abby and valley below. Its quite a steep walk up to the church but it is well worth a visit.